From Season 1
 Episode Summary
|Writer||Jay Kogen and Wallace Wolodarsky|
|Created By||Matt Groening|
|Developed by||James L Brooks; Matt Groening; Sam Simon|
Homer causes a meltdown as the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant and is fired. Whilst contemplating suicide ontop of "The Only bridge out of Springfield" his family is nearly run over causing Homer Simpson to save them and think about the Safety measures in place. Afterwards he becomes a public safety nut and ends up rallying against his old boss, Mr. Burns. After a lengthy discussion over his job, health and safety in Springfield he agrees to a new job at the Nuclear Power Plant as a Safety Inspector.
- On the Schoolbus on their way to visit the Nuclear powerplant:
- Student: Look, there's our school again!
- Edna: Otto, are you sure you...?
- Otto: It's a shortcut Mrs. K. Trust me.
- Bart, on Homer's depression:
- All he does is lay there like an unemployed whale.
- Homer: Dammit. I'm no supervising technician. I'm a technical supervisor. It's too late to teach this old dog new tricks.
- Smilin' Joe Fission, addressing a nuclear waste problem in the educational film that the kids watch:
- "I'll just put it where nobody'll find it for a million years."
- Marge: There, there, Homer. You've caused plenty of industrial accidents and you've always bounced back.
- Homer, addressing a large crowd with a megaphone:
- "You can't depend on me all your lives. You have to learn that there's a little Homer Simpson in all of us.
- Homer: Unlike most of you, I am not a nut.
- Homer: Our lies are in the hands of men no smarter than you or I. Many of them incompetent boobs. I know this because I've worked alongside them, gone bowling with them, watched them pass me over for promotions time and time again.
- Bart, doing a prank call to Moe's Tavern:
- Moe: Moes Tavern.
- Bart: Is Mr. Freely there?
- Moe: Who?
- Bart: Freely. First initials, I.P.
- Moe: Hold on I'll check. (calls out to people in bar) Is I.P Freely here? I.P Freely?
- Homer, speaking to Moe regarding the prank call:
- Homer: You'll get that prunk someday, Moe.
- Moe: I don't know. He's tough to catch. He keeps changing his name.
- Homer and a Duff TV advert:
- TV Announcer #1: Loaftime, the cable network for the unemployed, will be right back with more tips on how to win the lottery right after this.
- TV Announcer #2: Unemployed? Out of work? Sober? You sat around the house all day, but now it's Duff time. Duff, the beer that makes the days fly by.
- Jingle: (singing) You can't get enough of that wonderful Duff. Duff Beer!
- Homer: Beer! Now there's a temporary solution?
- Like father like son:
- Sheri: Hey Bart, our dad says your dad is incompetent.
- Bart: What does "incompetent" mean?
- Terri: It means that he spends more time yakking and scarfing down donuts than doing his job.
- Bart: Oh, okay. I thought that you were putting him down.
- Chief Wiggum address the Town Meeting:
- Wiggum: Well, it's no secret. Our city is under siege by a graffiti vandal known as 'El Barto'. Police artist have a composite sketch to go over, and if anyone else has any information, please contact us immediately.
- Bart: (a sketch is passed around, and Bart sees that the drawing is of an older, stubby, mean looking version of himself.) Cool, man!
 Guest Voices
 Trivia and Goofs
- This is the first "official" apperance of Mr. Burns.
- This is the first appearance of Wendel, Smilin' Joe Fission and Otto.
- Burns says "at last we meet" in this episode. This is the first time that we see Homer meeting Mr. Burns but in the future Burns always seems to forget Homer.
- Homer is given the job of safety inspector but throughout the first season he is often seen doing his first job.
- On Springfield Shopper the headlines are: "Simpson Says Safe!," "Dozens Cheer Homer Simpson," "Homer Simpson Strikes Again!," Watch Out Here Comes Homer," and "Enough Already, Homer Simpson."
- A three-eyed fish can be seen swimming in a pond at the Nuclear Power Plant
- A sign at the plant reads "Our Safety Record: 7 Days since last accident.
- Bart's report card includes an F in social studies, an F in Math, and a D in Physical Education.
- Homer writes down his suicide note on "Dumb Things I Gotta Do Today Stationary".
 Blackboard Gag
I will not skateboard in the halls
 Couch Gag
The couch falls apart and the family sits on the ground.