Simpsons Roasting On An Open Fire
From Season 1
 Episode Summary
|Simpsons Roasting On An Open Fire|
|Created By||Matt Groening|
|Developed by||James L Brooks; Matt Groening; Sam Simon|
While Christmas shopping, Bart gets a tattoo and Marge has to use the family’s Christmas money to have it removed. Planning to use his bonus to buy presents, Homer is dismayed to find that his boss, Mr Burns, has decided not to give bonuses this year all. In order to ensure Christmas for his family, Homer gets a job as a store Santa to try and raise the money but is fired when Bart unknowingly reveals his identity. Following a tip from his friend Barney, Homer bets the last of his money on ‘Santa’s Little Helper’ at a dog race and loses. As they leave however, they find that the dog is renounced by his owner for losing yet another race. Bart persuades Homer to take the dog home with them, and Marge and Lisa are delighted when they arrive, assuming that the dog is the present for the whole family.
- At the mall, christmas shopping:
- Homer': That just leaves little Maggie. Ooh, look, a little chewy toy! It says it's for dogs but she can't read.
- Bart: Oh, come on, dad. This could be the miracle that saves The Simpsons’ Christmas! If TV has taught me anything, it's that miracles always happens to poor kids at Christmas. It happened to Tiny Tim, it happened to Charlie Brown, it happened to The Smurfs, and it's going to happen to us!
- Homer: Okay, let's go. Who's Tiny Tim?
- Homer reciting the names of the reindeer at the Santa School:
- Homer: Dasher, Dancer… Prancer… Nixon, Comet, Cupid… Donna Dixon.
- Bart: Dad, you must really love us to sink so low.
- Tattoo removal technician:Now whatever you do boy, don't squirm. You don't want to get this sucker near your eye or your groin.
- At the mall, with Homer dressed up as Sanata:
- Bart: Hey Santa, what's shaking?
- Homer: What's your name Bart...ner? ---er --- Little partner?
- Bart: I'm Bart Simpson, who the hell are you?
- Bart requests a tattoo for Christmas:
- Marge: You will not be getting a tattoo for Christmas.
- Homer: Yeah! If you want one you'll have to pay for it out of your own allowance.
- Bart Simpson's thoughts on Santa:
- Marge: All right, children. Let me have those letters. I'll send them to Santa's workshop at the North Pole.
- Bart: Oh, please... There's only one fat guy that brings us presents and his name aint Santa.
- Upon opening presents:
- Marge: This is the best gift of all, Homer.
- Homer: It is?
- Marge: Yes, something to share our love. And frighten prowlers.
- At Christmas Pangeant:
- Marge: Isn't that sweet, Homer? He (Bart) sings like an angel.
- Bart: (singing) Jingle bells, batman smells, Robin laid an egg. The batmobile, broke it's wheel, the joker got away.
- On Homers Sanata payday:
- Homer: Thirteen bucks? Hey, wait a minute!
- Clerk: That's right. One hundred at twenty dollars gross, less social security, less unemployment insurance, less Santa training, less costume purchase, less beard rental, less Christmas club. See you next year.
 Guest Voices
- The Springfield Elementary School Christmas show recieves 3 1/2 stars in a recent review as advertised in the front of the building.
- Lisa requests a pony six times on her Christmas wish list.
- Marge pulls her car to the parking area 'ZZ' at the Springfield Mall.
- One tattoo in the Happy Sailor Tattoo parlor features a knife piercing a heart.
- Next door to the tattoo parlour is Dr. Zitsofsky Dermatology clinic. A sign in the window reads, "Tattoos removed by laser."
- Dogs in the race against Santa's Little Helper are: Quadruped, Whirlwind, Fido, Dog O' War, Chew My Shoe.
- The name is a parody of the song called "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire", incase you hadn't realized.
 Blackboard Gag